There are some significant changes to the Zoning Ordinance being proposed, specifically concerning short-term rentals and temporary signage. We produced a short informational video to go over the changes in order that you could be informed and be able to provide input on these proposed changes prior to them being voted on. Alternatively the text below contains a more detailed summary of all of the proposed changes and provides a link to each chapter with a markup of the proposed changes to the Zoning Ordinance. If you are interested in only the changes to the Short-Term Rental Regulations, the Sign Regulations, or other changes you can click below to view those separately. Otherwise read below for a summary of all of the changes. Comments on the proposed changes will be taken at any time up until the public hearing where comments may be made in person. Comments can be made by using the contact form on this web page, email, phone, or written and mailed.
All Changes Summary
- Added provision for development within the proximity of an existing cemetery.
- No changes proposed
- No changes proposed
- Added character considerations for accessory apartments in the agriculture zone to match current requirements for single family residential zones.
- Added flexibility for accessory structures in the RR zoning district.
- Added flexibility for style of entrance signs in both single and multi-family residential zones. Also increased permitted height for entrance signs, but reduced maximum sign face area to 32 s.f. Also modified entrance sign standards for mobile home parks to match standards for other residential zones.
- Added twinhome development standards for RS-1B. Twinhomes were added as a permitted residential unit type in this zone in the last amendment to the zoning ordinance, but the corresponding development standards were omitted by mistake.
- Reduced minimum lot size in RM-2 from 11,000 s.f. to 10,000 s.f.
- Clarified twinhome and condominium development standards in multi-family residential zones.
- Clarified maximum building size in GB zone.
- Added a purpose statement to the landscaping section.
- Added a purpose statement to the sign section.
- Modified sign regulations for temporary signs in all zones to adhere to the Supreme Court decision in Reed v. Town of Gilbert.
- Added provision allowing roof signs as long as certain design standards are met.
- Added light pole banners as a permitted sign type.
- Removed prohibition of EMDs on billboards and added new language regulating such signage.
- Added flexibility for multiple parcels located in the same vicinity to share one freestanding sign (i.e. not considered off-premise).
- Added flexibility for outdoor storage in commercial and industrial zones.
- Clarified accessory structure standards for corner lots in commercial zones.
- Added a prohibition of electronic message display (digital) signs in the Lovers Lane Overlay District. This was done at the request of the Urban Growth Overlay Design Review Board.
- Added Group Living as a conditional use and corresponding specific use standards in the AG zone.
- Added Short-Term Rental as a new land use category in the Overnight Accommodation section. Currently, short-term rentals (Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO, etc.) are regulated under the Bed and Breakfast land use category. The new land use category will allow additional flexibility for this type of use in multi-family residential zones (no innkeeper requirement). Also added and modified specific use standards for both Bed and Breakfast Establishments and Short-Term Rental uses.
- Added limited warehouse as a conditional use in GB and HB zones (i.e. online convenience retailers with little or no access to the public), as well as specific use standards for such use.
- Clarified requirements for the keeping of animals in residential zones.
- Added flexibility in the Home Office category to allow limited merchandise storage (up to 200 s.f.).
- Added flexibility for location of Recreational Vehicle Parks and clarified specific use standards for such use.
- Added flexibility for screening requirements for self-service storage when located adjacent to property zoned for industrial use (LI or HI).
- Clarified development standards for nonconforming single family residential uses.
- Clarified fines for signs
- Added enforcement provisions for temporary signs.
- Updated Bed and Breakfast definitions to match language in Article 5.
- Added the term and definition for short-term rental.
- Updated and added sign definitions to reflect proposed language in Article 4.
APPENDIX A AND B
- No changes proposed
Proposed Adoption Timeline
Virtual Public Forum – Monday, June 15th at 5:00 PM (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82868654564) Meeting ID: 828 6865 4564
Planning Commission Public Hearing – Thursday, July 16th
Adoption by legislative bodies – late summer to fall